Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tax Time!

Does the thought of doing your taxes strike fear in your heart? Take heed, there is plenty of free advice out there. Just go to the IRS website for help.

You can also go to Free File Home to find a website to file your taxes free. Some of the site have restrictions for gross income or filing status, so be sure to read each one to find the site that will work best for you. Make sure you use the link from the IRS site otherwise you may incur a fee. Also most of those free sites don't include your state taxes. Don't pay them a fee, usually about $14.95. Go to your states' website and file free. For example I would go to

If you are plain scared to death there are people that will do your taxes for you. Check in you local phone book under "tax preparer". You can choose from large companies like H&R Block or local CPA's. Just be sure to make an appointment early (everyone usually waits until a week before the deadline when these guys are under the gun) and bring all of your supporting documentation. Things like: W2's, interest, dividend and mortgage interest statements, etc. You can also have volunteers do your taxes. Check out VITA for more information or call 1-800-829-1040 to find the site closest to you.

Remember the filing deadline this year is Monday April 17th. (The 15th is a Saturday so we get a couple of extra days)

Good Luck!

No comments: