Friday, October 27, 2006

Hooray Free Money...Boo Fine Print!

So I get a letter from Allegent Community FCU, my local credit union. They just changed their name so to celebrate they had a bunch of promotions going on. One was to open 2 accounts and get $50 bucks free. I already have 2 accounts so I decided to take advantage of their cd special. $2500 minimum deposit for a 1 year cd with a 6.00% rate.

I took a look at it and thought "hey great rate" so I started the paperwork. Then I read the fine print. The promotion was only good for money not already on deposit at the credit union. Well, I have the opening deposit but I don't have that much in another bank as well. Sheesh!

Well, I found a vacation club that I could open with a $5.00 minimum deposit and still qualify for the $50. It should be credited to my account within 3-4 weeks. Sweet!

Lesson learned: When you see a great deal or promotion, read the fine print first. Or you could miss out on the deal.

No comments: