Thursday, March 20, 2008

The reason I won't graduate

I alluded to the fact that I won't graduate this year the other day. I've tried very hard to make it happen but it won't be a reality. There are a few reasons but I'll just mention the main ones.

They all revolve around money. I think the economy is headed for a recession. Although I think my job would be fairly stable, you just never know. I'm sure the people at Bear Stearns never thought that they value of their company would decline by 90%. The stock is now trading at less than $2.00 per share, which is almost pink-sheet status. They've also announced that they're laying off 7,000 people. That's a whole lotta people that will be out of work.

The only way for me to graduate in December is to spend all of my emergency fund and available cash. I would also have to charge 1 class. I would get reimbursed for 2 of those classes. But that money would go towards paying off the credit card, then paying school fees each semester. Books aren't even in the equation at this point.

With the way that everything surrounding the economy is going right now, I don't think it would be wise to have little to no cash. I can wait until May (or August) of next year to graduate. I won't be happy about it, but that's life!

No comments: