Sunday, July 29, 2007

Is there a stigma associated with having a tutor?

If there is I don't see why. My niece is having trouble in math and her mother wants to get her a tutor for the upcoming school year. I know what it's like to struggle with math. I had a innovative tutor when I was in 7th grade for my algebra class. I just didn't understand it at all. I worked with my tutor for 2 quarters and my grade went from a low C to a solid A.

I told my sister-in-law to go ahead with the tutor. If my niece is not happy, she can just introduce the person as her study partner. But if she's struggling with math now, it will only get worse so she needs to act on it before it becomes a bigger problem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a peer pressure thing. When I was in high school, I had to get a tutor for my english classes as my grades were horrible. At that time, I was a little bit embarrass as it made me feel stupid as the other kids did not need to have any tutoring.

Looking back on it, I should have been glad as tutoring is helping me in the long run.

Peer pressure works totally different for kids as they do for adult.

Sabrina said...

I understand peer pressure but I was happy to have my tutor. I was so lost in that class that I welcomed the chance to really learn the subject.

Maybe I was just a nerd. :>)

Sabrina said...

I'll have to check your site out.