Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I just increased my 401K percentage

Ok so I only increased it 1% but it's something. I'm getting a small raise that won't take effect until mid-March. After I factor in my new expenses for 2008 I won't see much money at all. My rent went up more than usual and my phone bill went up as well. That will probably be the bulk of my raise. Yeah I know it's pitiful. I said the raise was small.

But I did decide that I would increase my 401k percentage this year. I plan on increasing it at least 1% with every raise or promotion. I also scheduled it now so I won't see that money in my check. Once you have the money in your hands, you're much less likely to actually save it. If I don't see it - I can't miss it.

If I get my check and there's any extra money (yeah right), then I'll add another percent or two. I would eventually like to get to the 10% savings threshold. But that's a mid-range goal. I think I can accomplish that in the next 3-4 years. Until then, I'll keep plugging away 1% at a time.

No comments: