Thursday, June 21, 2007

I might not have to switch locations at work

I just found out today that one of the job paths that I'm interested in is offered at the building I work at. The only problem is that they don't hire a lot of people. Maybe 2 per year. So when I see the job I have to jump on it and apply right away. The good news is that the job is several grades higher than I am now, so I would see a nice raise.

There are 2 reasons why it's so hard to get higher jobs at my location. The first reason is because it's a small environment, there are only 700 or so employees. Most departments have less than 30 people total. Each department is broken into teams with about 10 people each. That's why it will be hard to get another job. There just aren't a lot of positions to go around.

The second reason is because there is free employee parking. When you first start you get put on a waiting list for a space. The list is about 18 months long. With the transit system cutting bus routes, people in the suburbs don't have as many choices. I have 2 or 3 coworkers who have already said they will never leave because of parking. I know a lot of other people feel the same way. I mean really, who wants to use public transportation if they don't have to?

Hopefully something will open up soon.

No comments: