Sunday, June 24, 2007

Should we get travel insurance?

I don't know if I've mentioned on this blog that my family is going on a cruise. It's me, my mom and my aunt. We're going to Mexico, Belize and the Bahamas on a 7 day trip. We leave in August.

The time of year that we're leaving is right in the middle of hurricane season. Cruise ships generally steer away from the hurricanes and onto a safe path. However travel insurance can be a good bet. I found one company called TravelSafe that offers trip cancellation or interruption insurance. They also offer a "Cancel for any reason" cash-back benefit. In the event that our trip gets cancelled or cut short we would get some, if not all, of our money back.

Now I just have to convince everyone else to spring for it. They want to take the cheap route. My motto is better safe than sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My credit card offers travel insurance when the tickets are paid for using the credit cards. In our circumstances, the insurances offered were adequate enough for us.

This insurance have saved us about $200 every overseas trip that we have made.

Good luck on your trip.

Sabrina said...

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I don't know how my uncle paid for the trip. I need to check into it.