Monday, June 18, 2007

My biggest relationship mistake

It was a biggie too. I loaned my boyfriend money. I know that was not the wisest thing to do. He needed the money to buy a car because he was in an accident and his car was totaled. His tires were bald and he skidded on an ice patch. Luckily no one was hurt in the accident and he hit a median in the road.

He works in the burbs and had no way to get to work. I work in the city and buses are abundant, but the burbs are a different story. They don’t have bus service within a mile and a half of where he works. We were dating and had been for over a year. I didn’t want him to lose his job, so I loaned him $2500.

The best thing I could have done was insist that he get a used car and put my name on the title. He did me one better and registered the car in my name. You know the break up story came next. And we broke up over…..you guessed it, money. At the time I made more money than he did and he couldn’t handle it. When I left I took the car with me. Since it was in my name, I sold it and was able to get all of my money back.

In hindsight, I should have seen the warning signs. He was jealous of the amount of money I earned. Believe me, I’m no Rockefeller and I’m not rolling in dough either. I just happened to make a few dollars more than he did. I wish a site that dealt with Relationship tips was around back then. I could have used some advice about how to understand men. They want a woman to be independent, but not too independent. Strange creatures that they are.

No comments: