Saturday, March 03, 2007

Cell phones for teens

My niece and her sister want cell phones. My sister in law doesn't want to pay a lot of money for them. Because we all know, teens love to talk on their phones. I know there were plenty of times in my younger days when my mom would unplug the phone to shut me up! So I understand her hesitation. I told her she should look into prepaid phones for both of her daughters.

First, she doesn't have to worry about a credit check. This is important because they're teens and they don't need hits on their credit reports already. There are also no contracts to worry about. So she won't have to worry about being locked into a plan for the next two years.

She can also limit the amount of time they spend on the phone. If they only have $10 worth of time, she won't have to worry about them talking all night long because they won't have enough minutes. It will also teach them time management that will help them later in life. They will have to think about how much time they have left and how long they will be able to talk. This will make them think about whether they want to talk about typical teen stuff or save those minutes for something important.

She shouldn't have to worry about them texting in school like mad because they shouldn't have a lot of time to do so. They will quickly realize that they'll be better off saving the minutes for talking instead of texting.

I loved having prepaid phones because I didn't have to spend a lot of money. I spent less than $25 a month when I had my phone. My first two phones were pre-paid so I highly recommend them.

No comments: