Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I hate taxes

The last day to file your federal taxes will be here before you know it. Usually I get a small federal refund and owe a small amount to the state. But this year, I need lots of Tax Help. I owe for the first time in over 5 years.

I changed my exemptions so I would have extra money taken out of my paychecks. But I needed money last year so I had to sell most of my stock. I had a large gain and didn't hold the stock long enough, so I don't get the long-term capital gains rate.

I did find some local tax preparers to help me out. In general I do my own taxes but this year they are more complicated than usual. I really don't want to pay. If I owe more than a certain amount, I can get on the payment plan but I sure hope I don't owe that much. This is another reason why I want to live in Florida. Floridians don't pay state income tax. So I would owe less. Can I disown Uncle Sam?

No comments: